To obtain your Iowa real estate license, you must:
State and National Criminal History Background Checks:
- Be 18 years of age. (There is no residency or citizenship requirement; you do not need to live in Iowa to have an Iowa license).
- Pass a state and national criminal background check.
- Have completed the Iowa 60-hour pre-licensing course from an approved provider.
- Show evidence that you have also completed the 36 hours of practical training: Buying Practices (12 hours), Listing Practices (12 hours), and Developing Professionalism and Ethical Practices (12 hours). These classes must be done in a webinar or classroom setting, and may be completed in any order.
- Have passed the state and national portions of the examination. Exams are given by appointment by calling 1 (800) 733-9267. Exam fees are $101. Once you pass your exam, it remains valid until the last working day of the sixth month following the exam date. For example, a test passed on any day in June 2017 will be valid until December 31, 2017. You must file for your state license while the exam remains valid.
- Be sponsored by a broker after you pass your state exam. (You cannot apply for an inactive license.)
- Be a person whose application for licensure has not been rejected in Iowa or any other state or jurisdiction within 12 months prior to the date of application, and whose real estate license has not been revoked in Iowa or any other state within two years prior to date of application.
- Obtain Errors and Omissions Insurance.
All applicants for an initial Iowa real estate salesperson or broker license must undergo a state and national criminal history background check. New licensees must begin the background check process before making application for state licensure; however, you do not have to wait until the background check is completed to apply for your license. In addition to new licensees, a background check is also required for those getting licensed by reciprocity and Rule 5.3; a salesperson converting to a broker; and those who are reinstating a license that has been expired for more than three years. Fingerprinting is NOT required for regular license renewal, changing from "inactive" to "active" status, or reinstating a license expired for less than three years.
To begin the licensing process, you will need to obtain a fingerprint packet from the Iowa Real Estate Commission by making an email request to the Background Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Or you may also fax your request to (515) 725-9032. Be sure to include your name and mailing address along with your request for a fingerprint packet. Once you have received your fingerprint card by mail (along with the waiver form, instructions and an information sheet), you may call our office at (563) 355-6655 and set up an appointment to be fingerprinted. There is a $10 charge for this service. You will need to submit the completed fingerprint card and all accompanying forms to the Iowa Real Estate Commission along with your $51 fee. It usually takes 4-8 weeks to complete the background check. Common delays are due to problems with the forms being filled out incorrectly, failure to include the fee, and fingerprints rejected due to poor quality. The applicant will be notified by email by the Iowa Real Estate Commission office when the background check is completed. Click here
to view a list of recently completed background checks. The background check remains valid for 210 days. You must apply for your state license before the background check "expires."
Applying for state licensure in Iowa:
To obtain an application, ask your sponsoring broker or click here
Please include the following with your application:
To find out more about Iowa licensing, click here for the Iowa Real Estate Commission's FAQ page.
- License fee of $125.
- Pass notice from the testing service, Psychological Services, Inc. (PSI), verifying that you have earned a passing score on the state exam. Remember, you must apply for your license within six months of passing your state exam and within 214 days of getting your background check completed. In addition, you must have completed all your pre-licensing courses within the 12 months prior to application.
- Completion certificates for the Iowa 60-Hour Pre-License and each of the 12-Hour Practical courses: Buying Practices; Listing Practices; Developing Professionalism and Ethical Practices.
- Proof of Errors and Omissions Insurance.